Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop
Our Measures against infectionIn order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19, we are taking measures and asking for your cooperation as below. Please read before you visit Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop.
- Time slots for indigo-dyeing experience reduced
3 → 2 (10:00 am/13:00pm）
- Number of participants
5 persons at max for each time slot
- Limits of attendant
Only 1 attendant is allowed to enter, for each participant. Others have to wait outside or take turns to enter.
*A child under junior high school must be accompanied by a parent or care giver.
- About reservations
Advanced reservation is required for indigo-dyeing experience.
・Reservation through google forms :at least 5 business days before your preferred date.
・Reservation by phone 044‐900‐1101 (Japanese language only):if any time slot is available.
- About personal information
Please let us know the number of people in your group, the name and phone number (or Email address) of the representative when you make a reservation.
Please refrain from visiting if you have traveled to other countries within 14 days or if you are not feeling well.
- About temperature taking and mask
We need to take the temperature of all participants and attendants. And please wear a mask.
- What you need to bring
Please wear clothes and shoes which you don’t mind getting dirty. Please bring rubber gloves or disposable gloves, and a plastic bag for taking wet works back.
*Gloves are also available on the site.
It is free to visit Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dentou-Kougeikan) . Separate admission fee is required when visiting Nihon Minkaen.
About Indigo DyeingThe Indigo, “Ai” in Japanese, is an annual plant of joint weed family. We get dyestuff from the leaves. Reaped leaves are dried, cut fine, fermented, and applied pressure. Adding lime, ash water, and well water, we heat and ferment them to make indigo solution.
Indigo dyeing, “Ai-zome”, is a simple handwork our ancestors had cultivated. We apply the solution to cloth and have the cloth aired to repeat oxidation. You can find the beautiful Japanese ancient color, which has a color tone deeper than sky blue and lighter than navy blue.
About ExperiencingYou can enjoy the experience of indigo dyeing in the Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop. It is charged. Prior reservation is required, as the experience may be unavailable due to the use of other groups and lectures.
1. Indigo Dyeing ExperienceVisitors can try indigo dyeing using a plain handkerchief. It’s beginner-friendly. Prior reservation is required, as the experience may be unavailable due to the use of other groups and lectures.
60 mins ~ 90 mins
- A plain handkerchief (45cm × 45cm): 700 yen
- A plain bandann (54cm × 54cm): 880 yen
- A tote bag (18cm × 29cm with a bottom gusset 10cm): 1,200 yen
2. Dyeing Your Own Goods (reservation required) *Charges changed from July 15, 2020You can enjoy creative dyeing with your items brought in. Reservations are required. (Acceptable from 1 person.)
- basic charge 500 yen + charge for dyeing: 18 yen per 1 gram of cloth
Examples of charge for dyeing
- A handkerchief (weighs about 20 grams): 360 yen
- A Japanese hand towel (40 grams): 720 yen
- A T-shirt (120 grams): 2,160 yen
3. Reservation for Groups (reservation required) * Suspended currently[For schools/public] You can experience indigo dyeing “Ai-zome” up to 40 persons at a time, e.g., an elementary school class. Dyeing a handkerchief takes approximately 60 minutes to 90 minutes. For further information, please contact below.
Opening Hours:From March to October: 9:30 ~ 17:00
From November to February: 9:30 ~ 16:30
Time Slots for indigo dyeing experience:1) 10:00 ~ / 2) 13:00 ~ /
Closed:Mondays (open on holidays)
The day after Japanese national holidays (open on Saturday and Sunday)
December 29 – January 3
*Temporary closure may take place.
Reservation for Indigo Dyeing Experience *at least 5 business days before your preferred date/Inquiries:<Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dentou-Kougeikan)>
Please make a reservation through google forms by clicking this link.
*It takes about 15~20 minutes to walk from the main gate of Minkaen to the Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop which is up on a hill. Please come earlier so that you don’t be late.
For lectures of indigo dyeing, please apply through another mail form by clicking this link.
*Reservation on November 3 is unacceptable because of other events.
Access to Dentou-Kougeikan:
- The Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dento-Kougeikan) is located at the West Gate of the Nihon Minka-en. It is a little apart from the Main Gate, through a sloping road.
- If you come directly to the Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop from Mukogaoka-Yuen Station, you can get on the Odakyu Bus at the north exit of Mukogaoka-Yuen Station and get off at the “Senshu Daigaku-mae” stop. It is a 5 minutes-walk from the bus stop.
- If you come by car, the Ikuta Ryokuchi West Exit Parking Lot (a toll parking lot) is convenient.
- Please also refer to →“Access”.
7-1-1 Masugata, Tama-ku, Kawasaki City, 214-0032 Japan (inside Ikuta Ryokuchi Park)
Dentou-Kougeikan (Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop)
7-1-3 Masugata, Tama-ku, Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture 214-0032
TEL: +81-44-900-1101(in Japanese language only).