Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop
It is free to visit Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dentou-Kougeikan) . Separate admission fee is required when visiting Nihon Minkaen.
About Indigo DyeingThe Indigo, “Ai” in Japanese, is an annual plant of joint weed family. We get dyestuff from the leaves. Reaped leaves are dried, cut fine, fermented, and applied pressure. Adding lime, ash water, and well water, we heat and ferment them to make indigo solution.
Indigo dyeing, “Ai-zome”, is a simple handwork our ancestors had cultivated. We apply the solution to cloth and have the cloth aired to repeat oxidation. You can find the beautiful Japanese ancient color, which has a color tone deeper than sky blue and lighter than navy blue.
About ExperiencingYou can enjoy the experience of indigo dyeing (charged) in the Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop. It is charged. Prior reservation is recommended, as the experience may be unavailable due to the use of other groups and lectures. Prior reservation is required for a group of more than 5 persons.
1. Dyeing a HandkerchiefVisitors can try indigo dyeing using a plain handkerchief. It’s beginner-friendly.
60mins ~ 90mins
- A plain handkerchief: 700 yen
- A plain bandanna: 880 yen
2. Dyeing Your Own Goods (reservation required)You can enjoy creative dyeing with your items brought in. Reservations are required. (Acceptable from 1 person.)
- 18 yen per 1 gram of cloth
- A handkerchief (weighs about 20 grams) : 360 yen
- A Japanese hand towel (40 grams) : 720 yen
- A T-shirt (120 grams) : 2160 yen
3. Reservation for Groups (reservation required)[For schools/public] You can experience indigo dyeing “Ai-zome” up to 40 persons at a time, e.g., an elementary school class. Dyeing a handkerchief takes approximately 60 minutes to 90 minutes. For further information, please contact below.
Opening Hours:From March to October: 9:30 ~ 17:00
From November to February: 9:30 ~ 16:30
Time Slots for indigo dyeing experience:1) 10:00 ~ / 2) 13:00 ~ / 3) 14:30 ~
Closed:Mondays (open on holidays)
The day after Japanese national holidays (open on Saturday and Sunday)
December 29 – January 3
* Temporary closure may take place.
Reservation for Indigo Dyeing Experience/Inquiries:<Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dentou-Kougeikan)>
Please click here for your reservation, and fill out the blanks.
* Reservation on November 3 is unacceptable because of other events.
Access to Dentou-Kougeikan:
- The Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop (Dentou-Kougeikan) is located at the West Gate of the Nihon Minka-en. It is a little apart from the Main Gate, through a sloping road.
- If you come directly to the Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop from Mukogaoka-Yuen Station, you can get on the Odakyu Bus at the north exit of Mukogaoka-Yuen Station and get off at the “Senshu Daigaku-mae” stop. It is a 5 minutes-walk from the bus stop.
- If you come by car, the Ikuta Ryokuchi West Exit Parking Lot (a toll parking lot) is convenient.
- Please also refer to →“Access”.
7-1-1 Masugata, Tama-ku, Kawasaki City, 214-0032 Japan (inside Ikuta Ryokuchi Park)
Dentou-Kougeikan (Traditional Indigo Dyeing Workshop)
7-1-3 Masugata, Tama-ku, Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture 214-0032
TEL: +81-44-900-1101(in Japanese).